To be thankful for the small things. Simple things. Things you normally might not so much as glance at. Take for granted. But are we not to give thanks always?
“And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”
- Holding a sleeping baby. This stage does not last long.
- Sunshine, especially after the rain, be it from the sky or from life.
- The fact that my husband doesn't mind my cold feet in bed. And there have been nights when they're positively frigid, let me tell you!
- Toilet paper. Oh, yes.
- Music—and not necessarily musical music. As long as it's happy and from the heart! “Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth!” (Psalm 98:4,6) (Yes, I've used this verse before, and yes, it is one of my favorites!)
- Knowing smiles from other parents. They've been there, they've done that, and I'm not the only one who has a crying baby.
- Speaking of which, a church that is understanding and welcoming of noisy babies and kids. There is no nursery—we believe kids should be in the service and learn to be part of the service. Numerous times I have been told to relax, William's only a baby! He's going to make noise in church, and it's ok!
- Kind strangers. Like the man in the grocery store who picked up the sign I knocked off the shelf.
- Staying home on a snowy day. Oh, the beauty!
- Fleas. Yes, fleas. A while back I read “The Hiding Place” by Corrie Ten Boom, and in it she recounted morning Bible studies in one of the camps she and her sister were in. Corrie was incredulous when Betsie insisted on thanking God for the fleas that ravaged them and their bunkmates. Come to find out, the only reason Corrie and Betsie were able to have a Bible study with other women in the camp were because the guards didn't want to come near the flea-ridden prisoners! Thank God for fleas!
- The internet. The world at your fingertips. It's too easy to curse it when it's down, so I try not to take it for granted when it is working.
- Cookbooks. A wealth of recipes, information, and mouthwateringly tempting photos!
- Chocolate. 'Nuff said.
- Freedom of speech. We enjoy fear-free opinions, we can listen to other people, and we have wonderful vehicles such as this blog with which to share our faith.
- My Lord and Savior. He came, he died, he rose, he conquered. There's hope for us all!
What do you have to be thankful for? Pay attention to the small things; God works in such wonderful ways!